Southern Cross Shongololo Express
12 day The Romance of Rail Tour
The Southern Cross Shongololo Express is a wonderful 12-day panoramic African train journey between Pretoria and Victoria Falls. Travel across the Drakensberg Mountains to join the Panorama Route with game viewing in Kruger. Tour Maputo, capital of Mozambique, before exploring the mountainous Kingdom of Swaziland. Enjoy a game drive at Kapama and a visit to the Great Zimbabwe Monument. Tour Antelope Park and Matopos, site of Cecil John Rhodes’ grave. Continue to Hwange for game viewing. Arrive in Victoria Falls for a walking tour of the village and the thunderous falls. End with a sunset cruise on the mighty Zambezi. Available in reverse.
The advantage of booking Shongololo Express with us
If you book this tour with Tales from Africa Travel, you are guaranteed the same rates as when booking direct. You also get our additional services like a personal consultant, all carbon offsetting of your journey and full bespoke services from airport to airport (transfers, add-ons etc.). Want to know more about these advantages?
Highlights of the Southern Cross Shongololo Express
- Ride the 4 star Shongololo Express: the most adventurous train in Africa
- Full day tour of Soweto and Pretoria
- Excursion along the Panorama route and Graskop Gorge lift
- Full-day game viewing in Kruger National Park
- visit of vibrant Maputo in Mozambique, a mix of old and new
- Travel through Swaziland
- Game drive in Kapama Game Reserve
- Visit to the Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre
- Great Zimbabwe Monument, the largest precolonial monument south of the Egyptian pyramids.
- Antelope Park, home to the African Lion and Environmental Research Trust (ALERT) lion rehabilitation programme
- the dramatic hills and granite rocks of Matopos NP
- Full-day game viewing in Hwange National Park
- the world-famous Victoria Falls
The tour in reverse direction visits the same highlights.
Bespoke private experiences
Use our unique tours and experiences as a source of inspiration for your exclusive holiday. Tell us what you like and what you don’t like in this tour, or any particular tour that speaks to you. Or let us know in general what experiences you would like to have. Based on what you tell us we’ll make a bespoke, unique tour for you. We’ll keep adjusting the itinerary, accommodations and way of travel until you have YOUR perfect holiday. Your exclusive experience of a lifetime.
This is experiential travel at its best. Nothing is set in stone, all can be combined, adjusted, changed to make your own bespoke holiday! Here are some more ideas to inspire you.