Explore the wild Kalahari Desert
16-day round trip, South Namibia
Some destinations sound almost mythical, like the Kalahari. With Tales from Africa Travel you can explore the wild Kalahari Desert. Discover the wild side of the most beautiful desert in the world. Your journey focuses on the Namib Desert, the most rugged part of the Kalahari with deep canyons, incredibly high sand dunes, endless plains and rich wildlife.
Once you’re out in the bush you will really appreciate all you experience and learned in the conservation project at the start of your tour. Deep in the south of Namibia the Kalahari is cut in two by the mighty Orange River. Go a half or full day guided canoeing trip to see the wonder of a green river in a brown, red, grey and yellow coloured desert.
Carving out an epic rocky wonderland in the south of Namibia, the Fish River has created Africa’s largest – and the world’s second largest canyon after the Grand Canyon. From here you travel to the quaint town of Lüderitz, home of penguins, the famous desert horses of the Namib and a real ghost town.
The land of empty
Inland lies the land of empty: the Namib Desert. Never in your wildest dreams will you have imagined how incredibly stunning and beautiful emptiness can be. Endless plains are crossed by imposing mountain ranges. Bordering this area you find the highest sand dunes in the world. Despite the seemingly harsh conditions, this desert teems with wildlife. At Wolwedans you can walk the Tok Tokkie trail and sleep in the desert under an endless number of stars.
If you do only one hot air ballooning trip in your life, this (or Sossusvlei) is the place. Almost perfect weather conditions the whole year round, the most beautiful desert landscape in the world with plains, magical fairy circles, mountain ranges and the vast expense of the highest sand dunes in the world make this an unforgettable experience.
These sand dunes are the famous dunes of Sossusvlei. They glow in a deep red colour in the light of the rising sun and colour an almost eery pink in the light of a full moon. You’ll travel far into the dunes to visit Deadvlei, where ancient tree trunks turn the desert into a photographer’s heaven. Sesriem Canyon, a deep chasm carved through the rocks by water, is a striking natural feature of the area that is best explored on foot.
Wine tasting in the desert
At the foot of the Naukluft Mountains lies Neuras, an oasis that boasts natural fresh water fountains, palm trees and vineyards. It is here where ecotourism is combined with wine-making and wildlife conservation. Join a guided walk through the vineyards and visit the natural water springs, and lush palm trees. Learn about winemaking in the desert and top it all off with a full tasting of the wines, accompanied by a delicious cheese board. What a way to end your journey, to explore the wild Kalahari Desert to the last moment!
Explore the wild Kalahari Desert the way you want it. Whether self-drive or guided chauffeur driven, exclusive fly-in or adventurous 4×4 safari camper – this is a journey of discovery you’ll never forget!
Highlights of Explore the wild Kalahari Desert round tour
- Discover the wild side of the most beautiful desert in the world
- Unique safaris, sunset drives, night drives and game walks
- Learn all about wildlife conservation at Na’an ku se
- Quiver Tree Forest
- 2 nights along the mighty Orange River
- Guided relaxed canoeing on the river
- 2 nights to marvel about the mighty Fish River Canyon
- 2 nights in the Quaint town of Lüderitz
- Meet the Wild desert horses of the Namib
- Kolmanskop, a ghost town disappearing under the desert sands
- Boat tour to Namibia’s wild penguin colony
- 2 nights to explore the stunning emptiness of Wolwedans
- Walk the Tok Tokkie trail
- Discover the mysterious fairy circles in the desert
- Take a hot-air balloon over the mountains and sand dunes of the Namib Desert
- 2 nights Sossusvlei: the highest dunes in the world
- Deadvlei, a photographer’s heaven
- Walk the incredible Sesriem canyon
- Desert Wine tasting at Neuras Wine and Wildlife Estate
- Cheetah experience
- Sleep in stunning eco-tourism and community supportive lodges
- Choose the option you want: self-drive, guided chauffeur driven, fly-in or 4×4 safari camper
- Exclusive bespoke and flexible experiences
Bespoke private experiences
Use our unique tours and experiences as a source of inspiration for your exclusive holiday. Tell us what you like and what you don’t like in this tour, or any particular tour that speaks to you. Or let us know in general what experiences you would like to have. Based on what you tell us we’ll make a bespoke, unique tour for you. We’ll keep adjusting the itinerary, accommodations and way of travel until you have YOUR perfect holiday. Your exclusive experience of a lifetime.
This is experiential travel at its best. Nothing is set in stone, all can be combined, adjusted, changed to make your own bespoke holiday! Here are some more ideas to inspire you.